Saturday 22 September 2012

The light bulb moment.

Ok so we want to travel and we want to do it now. No working in Morrison's, no living with mum and no moping about for a year first. When I speak to my friends about it and say that we want to travel asap with next to no savings, they look at me as if I'm a mad woman saying that I want to do a shark dive, minus the cage. "Well, we would get a job there", I tell them, "as long as we've got money for flights and setting up we'l be fine, we'l live on what we earn while we're there". Still blank stares. Man, am I trying to convince them or myself? I'm sure there's plenty of jobs out there for foreigners, even if it is only hospitality or agriculture work. I'm still just thinking about what jobs there were in Australia, there must be different jobs in other countries...

Wait...what about the holy grail of work abroad options, teaching English?! The light bulb switches on. Yes teaching English, why didn't I think of it before?! It seems so obvious now. Research tells us you can do it anywhere, any country, in fact most Asian countries are crying out for English teachers; some of the countries actually offer really good competitive pay and benefits like reimbursed flights or accommodation included.  The teaching jobs in most countries require a degree, so I won't feel like I'm taking a step back after uni. It's something we will be able to talk about proudly in job interviews when we get back. The more and more we look into this, the more brightly the light bulb shines.

No comments:

Post a Comment